Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 8 - Canada!

I really haven't been sleeping much. Every night as I try to relax, my mind reviews the events of the day and looks forward to the next. Yesterday's experience at Niagara Falls must have been very invigorating. And , I have to admit that I was a little nervous about driving through a portion of Canada. So, even though it must have been past midnite before I finally slept, I woke at 6:10, and, given my surroundings, I quickly dressed and went down to the lake to watch the sunrise. How cool is that? To be able to see both sunset and sunrise from the same place! There were quite a few seagulls around, and several of them roosted on the roof of the lighthouse.

We went through our usual routine, and took the drive along the lake back to the border crossing in Niagara Falls. It was very easy- and I am glad that we all had passports so we could do this. Yesterday there were long lines, since it was Sunday, but this morning we proceeded across without delay. The customs guy just asked me if I had any guns or knives or pepper spray or mace. My SUV is loaded to the roof so I hope it is just as easy going back!

My traveling companions stayed awake this morning due to the thrill of being in Canada, although the countryside was nothing really out of the ordinary. A lot of it looks like Kansas- lots of cornfields – but the illusion is shattered at the sight of the huge evergreen trees and weeping willows. I listened to “their” music- Tegan & Sara and White Stripes being the most popular at the moment. I was happier when we switched to Coldplay.

We made it to Sarnia around 2, and found a very nice park with a supervised beach, where we ate our picnic lunch. Carol and I rolled up our jeans to go wading, but the water was so cold that only the toes got wet. There were quite a few people in the water, to my amazement. The sign said that the beach is only open in July and August. I am amazed that people can actually live this far north.

So then we found the motel that I had reserved through Hotwire. I did that for the one in Atlanta and got a really good price on a very nice hotel. This time.... well,the building is old, but it is clean, air conditioned, has a fridge and microwave, not to mention the very important wifi internet. So we are catching up and I am going to try to rest. I have driven over 2500 miles in just one week!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are a LOOONG way from home! I am missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it hard trying to communicate with the locals since you don't know any Canadianese?

    ReplyDelete

A road in the Shenandoah Valley

A road in the Shenandoah Valley
From the internet. I hope to find this kind of beauty