Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 4- Virginia

A very loud bird woke me at 6:30 after a short night. Besides being pretty warm, my mind kept reviewing all that we had seen and experienced and looking forward to what is yet to come. We again were able to get on the road in about an hour, stopping at a Hess station to fuel the car and get coffee. They have good coffee, and flavored creamers. Yum! It was somewhat overcast, and a little foggy at first. Today I listened to the 27 Beatles songs I have on my Ipod, and decided that most of their songs are not very deep, or have a hidden meaning that is beyond me. Then I listened to Avalon, Caedmon's Call, and Chris Rice, which were much more enjoyable as I drove North through North Carolina and into Virginia. The scenery was pretty much trees, trees, trees. I could imagine the beauty of the changing colors in the fall.

I took a detour off the interstate again to see what the country side looked like, and went through Rose Hill, North Carolina, “Home of the World's Largest Frying Pan”. I looked, but didn't see it. Then we got toHalifax County, where the spirit of independence was born. I didn't know that. We indulged in Starbucks for “lunch”, and finally, after more rain, we got to the mountains and the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.

After settling in to our motel room, I found a Kroger and stocked up on food and snacks, then we checked out the historic downtown Staunton. It is pronounced Stanton. It is very hilly and exciting with huge houses, churches, hotels, and government buildings, all very close together and nowhere to park. So we took a scenic route “home” and enjoyed another beautiful sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A road in the Shenandoah Valley

A road in the Shenandoah Valley
From the internet. I hope to find this kind of beauty