Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 1- Mississippi

We left at 7:45 am. There was light rain with a beautiful sky until we got past Beaumont. The girls slept on and off, and I felt my mind clearing as I drove down the interstate listening to Enya. The only thing really interesting in Louisiana was the Atchafalaya Swamp, and we never saw a rest area-had to eat our lunch at a gas station. When we got to Mississippi, there was a beautiful welcome center and some kind of Nasa Rocket tour, but we didn't go on it. We took the scenic route, highway 90, so we could see the white beaches n Gulfport and Biloxi, and it was a beautiful sight. I almost stopped, but resisted the temptation. It looked like they were still rebuilding after the last hurricane.

We got to Ocean Springs, which was only 15 miles from our destination, and I used the GPS to find a Denny's, because I had a craving for the veggie omelet and hashbrowns. The girls both had chicken fingers. Then we found Shepherd State Park, in the woods in Gautier, and made short work of setting up the tent. When dusk came the crickets started their song, and it is very peaceful, albeit somewhat warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A road in the Shenandoah Valley

A road in the Shenandoah Valley
From the internet. I hope to find this kind of beauty