Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 7- Niagara Falls

I am sitting on the shore of Lake Ontario in New York.

Now I am in the tent with Amy and Carol. Carol and I had taken a blanket down to the shore, and it started raining, although it didn't last long. This was the best day yet. We slept a little later than usual, and got on the road about 8:30. We seem to have developed a rhythm to our days, and packing up is pretty easy now. It was raining as we set out,and the misty clouds hovering around the green mountaintops were so pretty I felt like crying. I guess that is silly, but I have found myself feeling emotional at the beauty of nature. I didn't know that it was going to get better and better. We went through the Allegheny Mountains, and around 4 pm got to Niagara Falls. I was really unprepared for the majesty of the falls. It is an awesome sight. We decided that we just had to take the boat ride, so the three of us donned the blue ponchos and boarded the Maid of the Mist. It took us past the American falls and very close to the Canadian Horseshoe falls. We took as many pictures as we could without soaking the camera! It was totally amazing and absolutely worth the trip. Everyone should experience Niagara Falls. After we got off the boat, we walked up some steps and were totally drenched and exhilarated. It is awesome, and I don't generally use that word except to describe the majesty of God.

Then we made the hour drive to Golden Hills State Park. The campground is grassy with flowers and clover and a lighthouse. Carol and I ended up in the gazebo on the shore and watched the gorgeous sunset. Now we are in the tent, the three of us, just hanging out. It has been the best day.

2 comments:

  1. I am getting more and more jealous!!!! Well, I'll have my own road trip someday. Sooo happy for y'all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome. I'm glad y'all are having a blast.

    ReplyDelete

A road in the Shenandoah Valley

A road in the Shenandoah Valley
From the internet. I hope to find this kind of beauty