Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 6- Pennsylvania

It was wonderfully cool when I stepped outside at 6:30 am-- in the upper 50's. We are getting really good at packing up, and after partaking of the motel's complimentary breakfast, we were on the road by 7:30. The girls did their usual thing, sleeping, as I enjoyed the morning, meditating as I drove on God's sovereignty in our lives. In just a couple of hours, we had gone through West Virginia and Maryland and into Pennsylvania. We stopped at Gettysburg and took some pictures, but didn't take the entire drive around the battlefield—it is really an all day undertaking. I saw enough to get kind of emotional- the place is huge, and I got goose bumps- the second time on this trip. All those people dying. All those mothers losing sons, wives losing husbands. War is a terrible thing, and to think that it happened right here.

So we continued on, going through Yorktown and near Lancaster, through some beautiful countryside with LOTS of corn growing everywhere, and arrived in Hershey. I had done a little research, and had discovered that Chocolate World has a free tour. I found the way, going by Hershey Park, which has huge rollercoasters so close to the road we could hear people screaming. Upon arriving for the tour, we were surprised to find that you get in these big cars that go through what Amy says is not the real factory, but it all looked real. It included funky music and singing cows. It was fun and I suppose it was supposed to whet your appetite to spend tons of money. The rest of it is what my father always called a “tourist trap” and steered clear of. We did spend too much money just on lunch and stocked up on enough chocolate to last a long time.

Harrisburg, which is the capitol of Pennsylvania, is just 10 miles away, and we drove through parts of the city courtesy of my helpful GPS. I really enjoy looking at the architecture. All the houses along the roads we drove on are large two story with basement and attic. I wish I could see inside! Gettysburg and the other smaller towns all have traffic circles in the center and large churches and government buildings.

So we are resting again, enjoying the lack of responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. Funky music? Singing cows? Sounds real to me.

    Glad you're enjoying yourselves!

    ReplyDelete

A road in the Shenandoah Valley

A road in the Shenandoah Valley
From the internet. I hope to find this kind of beauty